Monday, January 3, 2011

Adult students returning to college

The economy has sent many people to the unemployment line. Many jobs that did not require a college degree, and were high paying, are now being eliminated. Adults having the option of returning to college may be in better shape. The good news is that adults can qualify for financial aid.

Because returning adults are most likely over the age of 24, they are independent students. The benefit is that you will not have to include your parent's income and assets when applying for financial aid. Your financial situation may entitle you to more financial aid.

If you are working on a bachelor's degree, you may qualify for Pell Grants. This is money you do not have to pay back. If you are working on a post graduate degree, you do not get grants unless you are going to be a teacher.

If you still work for a company in some capacity, check to see if they offer any scholarships or reimbursements for employees going to college. If your spouse works, check out their employer as well.

Check out what job possibilities you are looking at, and what college degrees may get you there. This way you can find out what financial aid and scholarships are available specifically for your program. Some programs, like teaching, have more money available.

Going back to school is not a bad option. It can increase your skills and delay job hunting.

>>Find College Scholarships.

>>Federal Pell Grants.

>>How to be a teacher and get a teaching job.

No comments:

Post a Comment